|Net Worth:||$20 Million|
|Birthday:||May 18, 1946|
|Age:||75 years old|
|Height:||6 feet (183cm)|
|Occupation:||Former Baseball Player, Commentator|
|Last Updated:||January, 2022|
Reginald Martinez Jackson, also known as Reggie Jackson, is an American former professional baseball player, coach, and actor. According to Forbes, Jackson’s estimated net worth is between $20-$25 million dollars, including his real estate and car collection. Throughout his professional career as a baseball player, it is estimated that Reginald Martinez Jackson earned almost $9,000,000 million dollars ($21,215,076 in current dollar terms).
How Did Reggie Jackson Become Rich?
Reggie Jackson was born on May 18, 1946, in Abington, Pennsylvania. Shortly after he accepted a football scholarship from Arizona State University in Tempe, Reggie realized that he doesn’t want to become a defensive back and switched permanently to baseball. After achieving great success as a young baseball player with the Baltimore Orioles amateur team, they offered him a $50,000 signing bonus if he joined the team, which he declined in order not to lose his scholarship.
In 1966, he began his professional career in Kansas City Athletics, with whom the then 20-year-old Reggie signed a contract of $95,000. For the 1973 season, Jackson was named the MVP and was paid $70,000. The following year he was paid almost twice as much – his salary was as high as $135,000 for the season. Wages continued to rise as evidenced by the fact that in 1975 he was paid $ 140,000.
Then he played for the New York Yankees from 1977-1981, totaling $2.96 million ($13,460,000 in current dollar terms). Next five years, from 1982-1986, Reggie played for California Angels, and was paid approximately $1,103,000 per year. Jackson retired at age 41 as an Oakland Athletics’ player.
What Is Reggie Jackson Net Worth?
It is estimated that Jackson earned $8,627,740 million dollars throughout his professional career as a baseball player. For the first 10 years of his career as an Oakland A’ player, he earned $524,900. For his 5-yrs contract on behalf of NYY, Reggie has increased his earning for almost three million dollars. Towards the end of his professional career, Jackson earned approximately $5,500,000 million from 1982-1986 in the team of California Angels. His peak annual salary was right around $1 million, which he earned each year from 1982 to 1986.
Even while he was active in baseball, Jackson’s part time job was field reporter and color commentator for ABC Sports. Even after his retirement as an active player, he continued his commentary role. During the summer of 1993, Jackson returned to the Yankees as a special assistant and advisor to the general partners.
Jackson appeared in numerous movies and plenty episodes of different television programs such as MacGuyver, Malcom in the Middle, BASEketball, The Naked Gun etc.; endorsed baseball video game “Reggie Jackson Baseball” in 1988; showed up in many advertisements; was a co-author of a book “Sixty-Feet Six-Inches” in 2010 etc. Moreover, his memoir, “Becoming Mr. October” (with Kevin Baker), was released in 2013.
How Reggie Jackson Spends His Money?
In February 2005, he offered $25 million more than Los Angeles real estate developer, to buy the Oakland Athletics’ franchise. The offer was not accepted, and this all-star athlete stated that he is very disappointed since the start of his career was in Oakland and he still owns home there. This was Jackson’s fifth time trying to buy the team.
In 1976, Reggie’s house in Oakland caught fire when his World Series trophies, All-Star rings and MVP award were destroyed. Additionally, Jackson’s properties and other valuable things were destroyed in a fire on two more occasions, including his $3.2 million car collection that burned in 1988. However, this incident did not destroy Jackson’s love for cars – he used his acquaintances and became a co-owner of a chain of car dealerships in California as one of the successful sports souvenir dealers. Moreover, he runs a charity called the Mr. October Foundation for Kids.
Throughout the years, Jackson owned several lavish properties. Currently, Reggie owns homes in Carmel and Newport Beach, California.
- It could be said that Reggie inherited a talent for baseball from his father, Martinez Jackson, who was a second base player with the Newark Eagles baseball from the Black League. Even during his beginning of professional baseball play, his talent was visible- Jackson was the first college player to hit a home run out of Phoenix Municipal Stadium.
- The former baseball player was married only once in his life, with a girl he met as a student at Arizona State University, Jannie Campos. At first, they had problems with the relationship since the two were considered of different race. However, despite the fact that neither family nor friends supported this relationship, the couple tied the knot in 1968 in a private wedding ceremony. Although they had many similarities, such as mutual ability to speak fluent Spanish language, this marriage lasted 5 years and they divorced in 1973. The couple has a daughter named Kimberly, who was born in 1980, and a son, Martinez Jackson.
- This two-time World Series MVP former player earned the nickname of ‘Mr. October’ due to how well he played in the MLB postseason – during one memorable game 40 years ago. Furthermore, Jackson was a member of five World Series championship teams as well as a 14-time American League All-Star. In 1993, he was elected to the Hall of Fame and is one of only ten MLB players to have their numbers retired by more than one team, and one of only four to have different numbers retired by two MLB teams (number “44”).
- He was named second on the all-time list for most Golden sombreros(at least four strikeouts in a game). He led this statistic until 2014, when he was surpassed by Ryan Howard. Furthermore, in 2018, Jackson was inducted into the new Oakland Athletics Hall of Fame.
- The former outfielder is still active in the baseball world and is occasionally throwing ceremonial pitches at opening-day games. Being in a baseball world has not only earned Reginald Martinez Jackson recognition and fame but has also earned him lost of cash, making him a multi-millionaire in his retirement years.