Dr. Anthony Fauci
|Net Worth:||$5 Million|
|Birthday:||Dec 24, 1940|
|Age:||81 years old|
|Height:||5.7 feet (173cm)|
|Birthplace:||United States of America|
|Occupation:||Physician-scientist, immunologist, author|
|Last Updated:||May, 2022|
Doctor Anthony Stephen Fauci became famous among people of the United States at the beginning of 2020 when Covid pandemic spread across the world. Although he was working as the chief medical advisor to the US president for decades (he is the director of the NIAID – National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases as well) his name started appear on TV and citations way more frequently in the last years. So let’s dive in into Dr. Fauci salary and net worth in 2022.
How Did Dr. Fauci Become Rich?
Anthony Stephen Fauci was born in Brooklyn, New York to the owner of a pharmacy Stephen A. Fauci. His entire family (mother, father, sister) was working there, and Anthony wasn’t excluded as well: he used to deliver prescriptions to the patients. Following his fathers career, after graduating from a Jesuit Private school “Regis High School” in 1958 he went to the “College of the Holy Cross” which he successfully finished in 1962. His Bachelor of Arts degree was in classical studies with a pre-medical track.
This B.A. degree wasn’t enough in his his pursue of medical career, and after gradating from the “College of the Holy Cross” he attended Weill Cornell Medicine (back then it was called Cornell University’s Medical College. Finally, after 4 years of studying he received his Doctor of Medicine degree followed-up by internship at the Weill Cornell Medical Center (name was changed, in 1966 it was called New York Hospital-Cornell Medical Center).
After finishing his studying and internship he applied for a clinical associate in National Institutes of Health in 1968. After only six years he became head of the Clinical Physiology Section and in 1980 he received invitation to become head of the Laboratory of Immunoregulation. Four years later, after working 12 years at different positions in the NIAID, he became the head of this department. This position he holds to this day. And this federal post is well-paid.
What Is Dr. Anthony Fauci Net Worth And Salary?
Dr. Anthony Fauci net worth is estimated between 3 000 000 and 10 000 000 USD. But what is this number is based off? To dig deeper into this we have to look at his salary.
To do this, we have to go at fedsdatacenter.com and enter his name. Unfortunately, they provide the data starting from year 2015, but it is OK for now. So let’s take a look at the Dr. Anthony Fauci salary from 2015 to 2020:
- In 2015 he had official salary of $368,062.
- In 2016 it has increased to $384,625 (4,5% increase)
- In 2017 it remained still at $384,625.
- In 2018 his salary increased to $399,625. This is 3,9% increase
- 2019 saw another increase in his earning up to $417,608 per year. 4,5% increase yet again.
- In 2020, when Covid-19 pandemic had started, his salary increased again to $434,312. 4% increase. By the way, this is the highest paid job in the federal US government as of now. For instance, the former president Donald Trump has received $400 000 per year.
- In 2021 Dr. Anthony Fauci has made $434,312. His salary for 2022 has remained the same.
Overall, during the period from 2015 to 2020 Dr. Fauci has made over $2 million dollars, 2,388,857 to be exact. It’s cool, you say, but what about previous 30 years that there is no data available?
Well, that can be calculated too. If we assume that each 2 years his salary increased by approximately 4 percent (we picked bare minimum, as you can see by the data provided above) it will give us the following results for Dr. Fauci historical salary:
- 2014: $368,062
- 2013: $353 905
- 2012: $353 905
- 2011: $340 293
- 2010: $340 293
- 2009: $327 204
- 2008: $327 204
- 2007: $314 619
- 2006: $314 619
- 2005: $302 518
- 2004: $302 518
- 2003: $290 882
- 2002: $290 882
- 2001: $279 694
- 2000: $279 694
- 1999: $268 936
- 1998: $268 936
- 1997: $258 592
- 1996: $258 592
- 1995: $248 646
- 1994: $248 646
- 1993: $239 082
- 1992: $239 082
- 1991: $229 886
- 1990: $229 886
- 1989: $221 044
- 1988: $221 044
- 1987: $212 542
- 1986: $212 542
- 1985: $204 367
- 1984: $204 367
Following this study, we can calculate that from the period from 1984 (when Dr. Fauci was appointed as head of the NIAID) to 2014 he has made 8,552,482 USD. Adding this to $2,388,857 he has made from 2015 to 2020 and we get $10,941,339. Now you can see from where some sources put Dr. Fauci net worth around 10 million USD.
But, there are two things to consider:
First of all, this number is pretty rough. We took average increase of 4% every two years, but it could have been 3-4 years without any increase in salary. Or it could increase a few years by 4.5% – we will never know for sure, unless Anthony Fauci or the government decides to disclose these numbers.
Secondly, there are expenditures as well. Food, clothing, travelling, kids education, electronics, health the list goes on and on. There is no way net worth of the NIAID director is 10 million dollars – even if he’s saving on all things altogether and if we count all his movable and immovable properties.
On the other hand, $3 million are way too low. Yes, there are people who can run out of 1 million dollars at one day and become empty-handed the next day, but Anthony Fauci doesn’t look like this type of guy. Or, these sources who claim his net worth is 3 000 000, do not take into consideration his assets and try to ‘guess’ the amount of cash he has on his hands or in a bank.
So, why do we picked five millions as Dr. Anthony Fauci net worth? Because it is an average number, based on our research and common sense. It also takes into account his movable and immovable properties, as well as a general rule of 50% on spending and 50% on savings. This number could be higher or lower, but until Dr. Fauci discloses it himself we can only guess.
And if Dr. Fauci decides to retire he will get at least $350,000 in payouts per year. Forbes reports that this will be the largest government pension ever received by any government employee.
Additionally, Anthony Fauci is known for co-authoring several books including Harrison’s Principles of Internal Medicine that bring additional income.
How Dr. Fauci Spends His Money?
Dr. Anthony Fauci is not a lavish spender. You will never hear him buy a house for several millions USD, or a car for several hundred thousand $. He is quite Spartan in living his life and tries to provide for his 3 kids as much as he could.
He owns a home in Washington, D.C where he celebrated his 80th birthday on December 24, 2020.
- His wife is Christine Grady. She is also a Chief of the Department of Bioethics at the NIH bioethics department. They have been married for more than 35 years!
- Dr. Fauci has 3 daughters which are already in their adulthood: Jennifer, Megan and Allison.
- He has Italian and Swiss roots. They immigrated to the US in 1890s. One branch of his grandparents comes from Sicily town of Sciacca whereas others are from Naples. Giovanni Abys is his maternal Swiss-born grandfather – he was famous artist for his landscape paintings, graphic designs, illustrations and portraits.
- He has fought off HIV/AIDS epidemic in the 1980s, 2009 swine flu and took his part in the Ebola virus crisis.
- Dr. Fauci opinion on COVID-19 is valued among many US citizens that look for his advice on how to prevent Coronavirus, what are Coronavirus symptoms and which vaccine is better. At the same time many consider him a liar that doesn’t tell the truth about the Wuhan laboratory.
- In February 2021 his baseball card was sold for $4,000.
- In June 2021 previously leaked Fauci e-mails were released under Freedom of Information Act.
- In January 2022 Dr. Anthony Fauci stated that Omicron type of Covid-19 is less severe than Delta.
- Anthony Fauci was vaccinated with the Moderna vaccine.